Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blue Horizon - a special project I have been working on



For a few months, I have been hinting about a special project I’ve been working on. I can finally reveal what it is! I’ve been working with Blue Horizon, a sustainable seafood company based in California. Blue Horizon’s products are available at many different retailers across the US and Canada, and most notably at Whole Foods. I have been in charge of styling and photographing Blue Horizon’s line of products and help convey everything the company stands for.

The projects that I take on are always ones that I feel a particular affiliation for– and this project was no different. Blue Horizon is committed to sustainable fishing practices, and only uses fish and seafood caught from environmentally sustainable, small community-based fisheries. They use all-natural ingredients without synthetic growth hormones or preservatives. Blue Horizon’s commitment to ethical fishing techniques and its mandate against any practices that participate in destroying the ocean’s ecosystem was one of the aspects that first really drew me to work with this company. We worked for several weeks finding the look for the packages. Blue Horizon wanted their packages to be a reflection of what they stand for. We thus worked on achieving a look that would convey the freshness of the products and remind consumers of the the richness of the ocean as well artisanal fisheries.


In a world where food production often fails to respect moral standards, eating responsibly has been increasingly important for me. Blue Horizon is taking several steps in the right direction and I couldn’t be more proud to have contributed to such a great company. Here is a glimpse of some of my work...you will soon be able to find the rest of the packages in stores! If you’re curious to find out more about sustainable fishing practices and how to always buy ethically caught fish, visit Blue Horizon’s website. You can also sign up for their newsletter here where you will receive a special discount coupon to try some of their goodies.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Congratulations! So exciting - and beautiful photography as always!

stephanie said...

Well, when they say photography sells... I'm not a regularly interested by frozen food, but these really appeal to me! Great job!

Chocolate Shavings said...

stephanie: Thanks, I hope you give them a try! I think frozen foods sometimes get an undeserved bad reputation. A lot of frozen foods are frozen right at the peak of freshness and are thus really perfect once you eat them. As long as frozen foods are not filled with preservatives, additives and all that "junk" they can really be a great dinner option.. especially seafood that you can't necessarily find fresh year-round!

Dewi said...

Congratulation! I can see why you got the job :)

Nicole said...

Congratulations! Such beautiful work. You really captured the quality of the food. I will certainly keep my eye out for their products at Whole Foods. Thanks for stopping by my blog and introducing me to yours. It's lovely-- just lovely!

Anonymous said...

Your photos sure make the product look incredible. I'm going to check out the link. I could see eating both of those dishes! Sounds like a great company.

Simones Kitchen said...

Congratulations! How exciting this must be and the photos looks absolutely gorgeous! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures - good packaging.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin