Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mint and Watermelon Juice


As most of my French readers will know, August is really a national holiday month in France. Every year, most of the locals leave the crowded city for a couple weeks and make their way to the many beach towns in France. Growing up, August was always that month where things got relaxing, where you forgot about the busy rhythm of everyday life and just enjoyed spending time with friends, family or both. For us, it usually meant making our way the South West of France, near Biarritz and feasting on deliciously fresh dishes, relaxing by the water and catching up with one another.

This year is the first that I am not making the trip back home. I started working for Styleathome.ca and have been busy setting up shop here in Toronto. With the warm days still in full swing and a big balcony that I am attempting to transform into an urban oasis, I've had no other choice but to bring the holiday bliss to my doorstep. One of the best ways to do that has been to sit back with an ice-cold drink, a sundress and some good company. This watermelon juice recipe has been my go-to drink for the past couple summers. It's inspired by the watermelon juice from Cafe Gitane, one of my favourite restaurants in New York. while I was a student at the French Culinary Institute in nearby Soho, I often made my way to this quaint little cafe for a late afternoon snack or early dinner. Their watermelon juice is amazing. This is my version of the drink - it's a perfectly refreshing glass of bright pink goodness.

Mint and Watermelon Juice

1 large watermelon, seeded and cubed
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water
1/2 lemon, juiced
A small handful of fresh mint, coarsely torn

Put the sugar and water in a small saucepan and cook on medium heat until the sugar has just dissolved. Let cool. Place the watermelon pieces in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a pitcher and add the sugar water. Stir. Add the lemon juice and mint. Serve in large glasses with ice cubes and a slice of fresh watermelon.

6 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I love watermelon, this drink not only looks refreshing but also sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture - well seen picture with great colour. I have to say that I prefer gazpacho to watermelon, but they look so similar that I'm sold on the idea.

Jeanette said...

My kids have been enjoying watermelon juice this summer, although I haven't tried adding mint - will have to give it a try.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Jeanette: The mint definitely adds a nice touch of freshness!

Nippon Nin said...

I have all the ingredients to make this juice. I'm so lucky! This looks so refreshing. Great photos!

Thank you for your comment on my blog.

stampedconcrete said...

this looks so refreshing .. i like it .. i think it tastes good ..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin