Friday, August 26, 2011

Veggie-Packed Crustless Quiche


The only slightly tedious part of making quiche is taking the time to make a good homemade dough. For that reason, it can be hard to make quiche on a busy weeknight. I also find that dough usually makes for a heavy meal, especially in the evening. This recipe is my solution to the issue - crustless quiche! My recipe is packed with baby spinach, zucchini and feta. It's perfect straight out of the oven and maybe even better the day after, at room temperature with a nice green salad.

This quiche also works great with leftovers. Try it with some leftover roast chicken, peppers, goat cheese or prosciutto and pour the quiche mixture over top.

Veggie-Packed Crustless Quiche
Serves 4-6

5 eggs
1 cup of whole milk
1 cup of heavy cream
A pinch of nutmeg
5 heaping cups of baby spinach
1 medium zucchini
1 tsp of dried oregano
1/4 cup of Parmesan
1/4 cup of crumbled feta
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat your oven to 425F. In a bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the cream, milk, nutmeg and add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Reserve.

In a pan on medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the spinach and cook until it just starts to wilt, for 4-5 minutes. In the meantime, grate the zucchini. Place the zucchini in a dish towel and ring out as much liquid as possible. Add to the just wilted zucchini. fold in the dried oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes. Place the spinach and zucchini on a chopping board and coarsely run your knife through the mixture. Add to the milk and cream mixture. Fold in the feta and half of the Parmesan Pour into a 9 x 1.5 inches greased pie plate. Top with the remaining Parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the quiche is golden brown. Leave to cool for a couple minutes and unmold onto a plate. Serve warm or at room temperature with a green salad. Enjoy!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I love crustless quiche, and with feta, cha ching, winner!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Julia: The feta adds such a great touch of cheesy saltiness - I love it!

Copycat Recipes said...

Love the looks of this crustless quiche. I will be trying it out. Thanks.

Brooke said...

Oooh, this looks wonderful! I'll be trying it soon, for sure!

A Canadian Foodie said...

I think I had a fritatta like this at the San Lorenzo Market in Old Town Florence and I have never - and I mean never - forgotten the flavours and textures of that taste moment. Absolute heaven. Can't wait to try your recipe.
:)
Valerie

Chocolate Shavings said...

A Canadian Foodie: I love it to! It's a great alternative to a frittata - it's very similar but there's more of a creamy taste because of the heavy cream and milk.

Lissy said...

It`s looks so good!

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

Looks absolutely delicious (and healthy without trying too hard). Lovely photo and another great recipe to bookmark!

Amy said...

Couldn't agree more...I don't usually make anything with crust on a weeknight! This sounds perfect, easy and delicious! Best of all, I love any recipe that helps me "clean the fridge"! :D

Jeannie said...

I would surely enjoy this if it's right here in front of me right now!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Jeannie: I'm craving a slice too!

Nina said...

Thats a nice quiche:). Bookmarking this one:).You have a lovely blog:)

Elena said...

Love this modification of quiche! Thanks for sharing!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Nina: Let me know what you think when you try it!

kyleen said...

Making a quiche without the crust sounds like a great idea. The pie crust takes too long to make/chill/roll/pre-bake. I'm definitely trying this next time I have leftover veggies.

rachelsdigestif said...

mmm I love crustless quiche! This one looks delicious...I've got some zucchini waiting to be put to use too.

Chocolate Shavings said...

kyleen: It's definitely a great time-saver!

Leanne said...

Yum, this looks delicious! We're moving soon and this seems like the perfect way to use up some staples and our leftover veggies. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin