Sunday, November 8, 2009

Squash and Sweet Potato Soup



These types of soups always make me smile. The color of the squash is just amazing - making this soup the perfect way to celebrate Fall. My mom is in Montreal for a few days and wanted me to show her how to make an easy squash soup. This was the perfect time to do just that. Standing in the kitchen with a warm cup of green tea, I talked her through the recipe, she took a few notes, and I'm confident she will now try to make this at home!

We served the soup with crusty garlic-rubbed walnut bread, and it was delicious. The markets are full of multi-colored squashes at this time of year, and I can't help myself but buy one (or 2) every time I see some. This is my type of food: simple, rustic, flavorful and really quite beautiful. What are your favorite Fall treats this year?

Squash and Sweet Potato Soup

Serves 8

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 squash, seeded and cut in quarters
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 1/2inch slice of pancetta, cubed
1/2 white onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 teaspoon of finely chopped thyme
2 cups of chicken stock
10 sage leaves
Olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and add the chopped sweet potato and quartered squash. Generously drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with brown sugar. Using your hands, make sure each piece has a little oil, seasoning and sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the squash and sweet potato are just soft. All pieces may not be done at exactly the same time. Once cool enough to handle, use a spoon and scoop out the flesh of the squash. Reserve the squash and sweet potato.

In a large stockpot on medium heat, add the diced pancetta. Cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add a little olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the chopped thyme. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Add the squash and sweet potato pieces. Add the chicken stock. Add cold water until the squash and sweet potato pieces are just covered with liquid. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Using an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup. You might need to add a little water if the soup is too thick. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, and a good drizzle of olive oil to fry the sage leaves. Place the leaves in the oil, and cook until the leaves are just crispy. Remove from the heat, place on paper towels to soak up excess fat, and serve atop the soup, with a dollop of sour cream, yogurt or ricotta. Enjoy!

25 comments:

Deborah said...

Love squash, love sweet potatoes - I'm sure I'd love this soup!!

Coco Bean said...

Sounds so good, I wanted to make butternut squash soup tonight but Ian is sick and ended up with turkey stock for dinner. I hope your mom had a good time visiting Canada! Oh, I'm going to send you that picture now!

Justin said...

soups like this really say "fall" to me... i haven't made one yet this year though

Nina Timm said...

The color of the soup is lovely and vibrant...also the other soups in The Linkwithin look divine!!!

CC11 said...

I love soup - and yours looks fantastic.

Hungry Gal said...

This soup looks fabulous and comforting. I make something very similar with a squirl of coriander chutney on top for colour and a tangy hit of heat. Fall is my favourite time of year.

A Bowl Of Mush said...

Sounds like a fantastic soup!
I've had squash soup before but sweet potato and squash together must be amazing! Yum.

Valérie said...

I love the colours in your pictures! And this type of soup is definitely one of my favourite fall treats!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely fall soup. It looks wonderful and I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks. Have a wonderful day.

Choclette said...

All I can do is echo Deborah! Although Like the idea of the sage leaves too.

Simones Kitchen said...

What a beautiful fall soup! Love the colors!

Mini Baker said...

Squash is SOO nutritious, so i'll have to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing!
-Mini Baker

Trissa said...

Yup - have to agree with you - soups like this really do make me smile! It's getting warmer in Sydney and while you had this soup hot, I am sure it would be just as delicious cold for summer!

Zurin said...

It looks really good..the colour, texture and the photographs...awesome.

giao {kiss my spatula} said...

oh, your soup has made me smile too! beautiful photos!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Oh wow. Your photography is beautiful.

pigpigscorner said...

I'm smiling =) i always make squash soup but have never paired it with sweet potatoes. great diea1

Anonymous said...

Love the colour of squash too! It's fun reading all the fall recipes during beautiful spring time in Sydney. Beautiful pictures as always :)

bethany (Dirty Kitchen Secrets) said...

What a wonderful combination! Truly a match made in heaven! Fantastic photos!

Jackie at Phamfatale.com said...

I usually either make a squash soup or a sweet potato soup. Love the idea of a combination of the 2 ingredients. Thanks for sharing this beautiful fuss-free soup recipe :)

Anonymous said...

OMG your pictures continue to astound me. How do you do it? Any trade secrets you can share? I continue to bumble along, and one out of every zillion pictures comes out okay. Thank goodness for digital cameras! Delete delete delete! Lovely recipe too. Thank you.

Jamie said...

Yum! Another really great squash/pumpkin soup recipe. I love that you added sweet potatoes AND pancetta. Love it and I should really try this next time we want pumpkin soup!

Muneeba said...

This soup looks great for all fall and winter get-togethers. As always, your photos are perfection.

tasteofbeirut said...

this recipe looks exquisite!

Marysol said...

Brilliant in color, and undoubtedly, in taste!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin