Friday, May 29, 2009

Udon, Porc and Shittake Mushroom Soup


I've been pretty busy lately.... and sadly just realized that I forgot to celebrate my 100 posts mark. I guess it's never to late to start the festivities, so happy 100th posts chocolate shavings!

"Chocolate Shavings...." my dad said on the phone the other day. "How did you come up with that name anyway? Is it a reference to the many, many baking experiences you had in our family kitchen growing up?" I paused. True, I started baking when I was pretty young. Making various baked goods was one of my great hobbies, and I learned early on that I didn't really like to follow recipes. I would come up with my own crazy concoctions and make the whole family eat it. Sometimes they were good... sometimes not so much. "You're right dad.. but I really enjoy cooking savory foods too. The name chocolate shavings is my way of mentioning all the little cooking tricks that turn a meal from a simple cooked dish to something special....like chocolate shavings added to a white chocolate mousse, or lemon zest sprinkled over a simple fennel salad...or a drizzle of truffle oil added to everyday mashed potatoes." My dad paused. "I see, well maybe you should come home more often. Teach me how to move away from the microwave and start using a real pan". My dad has a growing kitchen love affair with microwaves. It's the only kitchen utensil he uses to perfection, and the one that saves him when my mom's not there to save the day. "Well, whatever it is, your site always makes me hungry". That was the best compliment of my day, and comforts me in the fact that I couldn't have chosen a better carreer to dedicate my time to.

This soup is one of my latest concoctions. The meatballs are made with basic asian-inspired flavors (sesame oil, scallions, chinese chives, soy sauce)and are cooked in a simple chicken stock based broth flavored with shittake mushrooms. The mushrooms darken the broth and give it a lovely rich color. I served it with udon noodles, but the soup would be delicious without them as well.

Udon, Porc and Shittake Mushroom Soup (serves 4)
For the meatballs
1/2 lb of ground pork
2 leaves of napa cabbage, finely diced
4 shittake mushrooms, finely diced
1 green onion, finely diced
3 chinese chives, finely diced
2 teaspoons of finely diced ginger
1.5 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of corn starch

For the broth
2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup of water
a pinch of powdered dashi stock (optional)
a good handful of udon noodles, cooked
4 shittake mushrooms, sliced
1 green onion, sliced
a handful of chopped coriander, to serve

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients to make the meatballs. Make sure that all the ingredients are very finely diced. Form into bite size meatballs and reserve.

In a stockpot, add the chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer. Add the dashi. Carefully add the meatballs. Cook for 5 minutes and add the mushrooms and green onion. cook for another 4-5 minutes or until the meatballs are just cooked through. Add the warm cooked noodles to your serving bowls, and top with the meatballs and broth. Serve with chopped coriander. Enjoy!

26 comments:

Y said...

A great compliment from your mom indeed. It's wonderful how supportive your parents are. Happy 100th post!

Angie Tee said...

Yay! Happy 100th posts! :D

Elyse said...

Happy 100 blog posts! What an exciting mark to hit. Your recipes are always fabulous, as is your blog name. I totally get it! This soup looks delicious; I can't wait to try out this recipe! (P.S. your dad sounds awesome.)

pigpigscorner said...

Happy 100th post! I love the meaning behind your name =)

Chocolate Shavings said...

Y: Thank you!

test it comm said...

I like the sound of tasty meatballs in and udon soup! It looks good!

Lynn said...

First time visitor here -- I love your description of how you came up with your blog's name. You've given me something to think about, as I often don't give enough thought to the presentation of food on the plate. Thank you for the inspiration ;) And happy #100! It's a big accomplishment.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Lynn: I've always followed the motto " you eat with your eyes first"... I think that's where my attention to detail started from!

Sharon said...

Happy 100th! I never thought I'd say this about soup, but your soup is very pretty! I love Udon noodles.

vanillasugarblog said...

I bet that felt wonderful to hear your parents say that.
Happy 100. I don't even know what I'm up to in posts these days.
I do know that I hope you'll have 100 more.

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

Happy 100th post! That was a nice comment your Dad made! My dad was a professional chef for a while when I was growing up, but passed away 10 years ago, I think he would be my #1 fan!

Your recipe looks great!

Anonymous said...

Happy 100th post! The soup sounds fabulous!

Coco Bean said...

Wow, only 100 posts and you are already a blogging superstar! Your food ALWAYS makes me hungry! Lately we have been going to this place in chinatown that makes thier own noodles and dumplings right infront of you. That soup reminds me of what I ate for supper and is making me hungry.... again!

Goody said...

Congratulations on the 100 post milestone, and many happy hundreds returns.

Http://www.eattheblog.blogspot.com

kiss my spatula said...

i wish i could reach into the computer and take a big'ole slurp of this right now. gorgeous!

Amy I. said...

Congrats on your 100th! Thanks for stopping by my cupcake post today. Glad I found you, your photography is to die for!

My Taste Heaven said...

HAPPY 100th posts....
the soup looks really delicious, makes me hungry already!!

Marta said...

I'm actually scared of the microwave! "Anything that gets that hot without fire is from the devil" I can't remember who said that, but it pretty much sums up how I feel about it :)
Lovely soup, looks filling and satisfying!

Deborah said...

That is a great compliment - and the soup looks amazing!

Big Boys Oven said...

a healthy diet for me by just drooling into the lovely bowl of udon! just smashing!

Tangled Noodle said...

My first visit to your site and I'm greeted by this amazing recipe! I love soups regardless of the season and this is one that I'd love to try. Congratulations on your 100th post and thank you for sharing the anecdote about your dad. 8-)

You left such a nice comment on my blog about my photos but looking at yours, I still have a long way to go! I think I'll learn quite a bit from you . . .

Anonymous said...

Happy 100th post! Love your blog! This soup looks beautiful!

foodcreate said...

~Happy 100th Post! This is such a lovely, soothing fresh Soup!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

And you can visit me If I can visit you:)

Welcome~~~
http://foodcreate.com

The Cooking Photographer said...

My gosh, this looks so good. What a great picture too.

Laura

Jude said...

Sounds fantastic. I'll also try out the meatballs with a nice pan sear.

nick said...

Just from looking at this dish I can tell that the flavor profile must be clean yet refined and complex. This is a must try.

Welcome to the centurion club (it's funny to read back over ALL the your posts huh?)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin