Monday, May 25, 2009

Strawberry Shortcake


I've been meaning to make a strawberry shortcake for a while now, and finally got around to it this weekend. It was the perfect dessert to bring for a post BBQ meal - it tastes light (it's not really, but the airy whipped cream makes it feel like it is!) and it's pretty quick to make. I omitted the gelatin though - firstly because I didn't have any, but also because a couple of our friends don't eat meat. Made with animal product (think collagen derived from animals' skin and bones) it's really not the nicest thing to slip into a cake when some of your friends are vegetarian. The cake turned out fine without it, and I don't think the gelatin would have added that much more to the texture of the cream.

This is one of those great dessert for big gatherings. It presents very nicely, boosts great summer colors and, most importantly, is delicious.

Strawberry Shortcake
(Serves 12), adapted from Martha Stewart
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for pan
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1 pound strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan, and line with parchment paper. Butter and flour paper and sides. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture in 3 parts and milk in 2, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined. Spread batter in prepared pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Using a serrated knife, split cake in half horizontally; place bottom half, cut side up, on a serving plate.

Make topping: In a large bowl, combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat cream and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl until very soft peaks form.

Arrange half of strawberries over bottom cake layer; top with half of whipped cream, leaving a 1-inch border. Cover with top half of cake, cut side down. Top cake with remaining whipped cream, leaving a 1-inch border. Refrigerate cake and remaining strawberries separately, at least 1 hour (or up to 1 day). Just before serving, spoon strawberries over cake.

31 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful and I'm sure it looks as good as it tastes. A passing thought --- I thought that gelatin was used just to stabilize whipping cream and keep it from weeping. Have a wonderful day.

Audrey said...

Oh, this is one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen! I like the fact that it's a cake, and not individual biscuits, just for a change (although I like that version too) I would love to try this for a summer dessert, so thank you for sharing!

vanillasugarblog said...

that's not just strawberry shortcake, that is the way it should be done, period.
wow!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Mary: The gelatin helps settle the texture of the whipped cream. Mine worked well without it. It served it the same day that it was made though - so the gelatin might help if you're planning on serving the shortcake the day after.

Ria Mathew said...

That's sooo good looking! Love to have a bite! :)

Elyse said...

This strawberry shortcake looks absolutely delicious!! I am definitely craving the subtle sweetness of this fabulously summer dessert right now. And yours looks not only gorgeous but oh so tasty. Man, I need to get into the kitchen!

Núria said...

Yes, it looks perfect!!! When do I have my next big gathering?... I'll keep this recipe near ;D

Dana said...

That is so lovely. I know my husband would go crazy if I made that. As a veg, I so appreciate you being mindful of gelatin. Most people don't know where it comes from.

Deborah said...

I love strawberry shortcake, and yours is beautiful!

MissBliss said...

Gorgeous... will definitely try this summer... luscious berries...

Simones Kitchen said...

O, this looks absolutely delicious! I love most strawberry desserts and this looks perfect!

Y said...

Looks great! The perfect thing for a bbq :)

Coco Bean said...

Uhh you made this to taunt me didn't you. I can't make anything strawberry because of Ian's alergy to them and it pains me so! I have been craving strawberries since I meet him. Please send some through the mail. I will be waiting.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous picture and the strawberry shortcake sounds absolutely delicious, perfect summer dessert!

Hayley said...

This looks beautiful! I've been meaning to make a strawberry shortcake in actual cake form, instead of individual biscuits. Thanks for sharing!

stephchows said...

MMMMMMM Yes please I'll have a slice!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

It looks wonderful! I've been wanting to make one as well. I like that this is one big one as opposed to a bunch of small biscuits.
~ingrid

unconfidentialcook said...

What a great strawberry shortcake! It's gorgeous, and I know it's delicious.

CookiePie said...

That is beautiful, the PERFECT summer dessert!

Salon de Sucre said...

I loveee this!! heck I could eat your whole blog!!! Yummmy!

The Food Librarian said...

What a lovely summer dessert! Pretty pretty!

test it comm said...

That looks nice and light and refreshing and good!

Dimah said...

Great looking cake!

Risa said...

This looks beautiful and delicious!

Valisa said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lekker!!!
And what a gorgeous gorgeous blog too!

Jackie @PhamFatale.com said...

Oh the dessert is so professional looking. Well done! It could be one the cover of the next Gourmet magazine.

Kathy said...

Yuuuuum. I just made this recipe for dinner and everyone loved it! I added more strawberries because, well, can you have too many strawberries? Absolutely delicious.

berna said...

This looks wonderful !!!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Looks like you've got a thing for strawberries too. This certainly makes me hungry for a slice. Thanks for stopping by my blog and allowing me to find yours.

Lori said...

Such a pretty little shortcake. I always love strawberries sitting pretty on top of desserts.

Memória said...

I agree with Dawn. This is exactly how a strawberry shortcake should be made. I'm bookmarking this!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin