Sunday, April 10, 2011

Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic-Infused Oil and Goat Cheese


I often get asked where I find my inspiration in the kitchen. A lot of recipes I develop come from dishes I have sampled while traveling and from tasting a delicious meal at a restaurant. Every once in a while, I taste a dish that I know I should try to make at home. This tomato recipe is inspired from one of my favourite restaurants in Montreal, Tapeo. This restaurant serves a myriad of tapas-inspired dishes, all using crisp, simple ingredients. There is one dish that I always order there, the roasted cherry tomatoes - the tomatoes are slowly roasted until soft, and cooked in a garlic-infused oil with herbs and soft, velvety goat cheese.

After living in Montreal for the past few years, I am in the process of packing up the Chocolate Shavings kitchen and moving to Toronto. This recipe is a nice homage to some of the best food I have enjoyed in Montreal. My cooking philosophy has always been that simple ingredients, cooked to perfection make the best meals. This dish exemplifies this and is a wonderful way to use tomatoes in the summertime. I like to serve it alongside a crusty piece of bread and a green salad for lunch, and as a side dish to roasted fish or grilled chicken for dinner. Tomatoes are really one of the best fruits to roast. They release all of their naturally sweet juices and burst with flavor as soon as they are cut open.


Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic-Infused Oil and Goat Cheese
Serves 2

3 tablespoons of olive oil
3 medium-sized cloves of garlic, crushed
5 sprigs of thyme
A dozen vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup of coarsely crumbled soft goat cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Remove the thyme leaves from their stem and finely chop. Reserve.

Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a small saucepan on low heat add the olive oil, thyme and crushed garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes to the saucepan (leaving the stems on) and cook for 5 minutes, on low heat, until the tomatoes just start to soften. Place the tomatoes in a casserole and drizzle with the garlic-infused oil and thyme. Top with the crumbled goat cheese and season with salt and pepper.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

18 comments:

Cakebrain said...

I love tapas! Those tomatoes look like they're going to burst with summer!

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Those tomatoes look delish! Gotta love the flavor combo too - how fabulous:) Best of luck on your move to Toronto!

Unknown said...

truly heaven on a plate, gorgeous - scrumptios, healthy

Lisa said...

Oh my..just saw your tweet and had to come by and drool. Beautiful and craving it big time!

The Italian Dish said...

Such beautiful photos!

Chef Thomas Minchella said...

Oh those tomatoes look great!! Love you blog!!

A Bowl Of Mush said...

This is definitely my kind of lunch! Must make this now!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious
makes me feel like summer is here

kimberleyblue said...

Oh, that dish looks so simple and elegant. I can imagine why you love it!

Good luck moving to Toronto. I'm biased towards Montreal, of course, but Toronto has some good food too. :)

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Che bella questa tua ricetta, ciao

Simones Kitchen said...

I love tomatoes but almost any tomato tastes better after it has been roasted. And then eating them with goatcheese, well that is just heaven. Good luck with the move to toronto!

the constant hunger said...

I miss eating at Tapeo. I'm a Montrealer now living in NYC, but I still dream of that tomato and goat cheese dish. Apparently Tapeo has expanded. Can't wait to go back when I visit.

jessica terry said...

Simple and Delicious. I'm a new follower, your blog looks great! I'm glad I came across it. Best of luck with the move! www.delicious-dc.blogspot.com

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

This is heavenly! I can't wait to try it out - divine!!

Mary
Delightful Bitefuls

a frog in the cottage said...

absolutely irresistible !!!!

Linda Wagner - Nutrition to Invigorate Mind, Body & Spirit said...

Yummmmmmm! This looks amazing!!

Délices d´Ispahan said...

Mmmmh the tomatoes looks great! The combination with the goat cheese is a great idea...

Patrice @ Circle-B-Kitchen said...

Just found this recipe and love the idea of roasting the tomatoes with the goat cheese. Beautiful photos, too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin