Monday, January 24, 2011

Chaussons aux Pommes (or Apple Turnovers)


If I had to name the one food-item I miss the most about France, it would have to be the 'boulangeries' at almost every street corner. Growing up, no Sunday meal would be complete without a trip to our local bakery to pick up a fresh - and warm when we were lucky- baguette and a couple chaussons aux pommes, pains aux raisins and pains au chocolat for breakfast. Every time I go back home and visit my parents, the first thing I do is head for my neighborhood market, with a mandatory trip to the boulangerie. I really miss having access to homemade baked bread so close to home - there are bakeries around Montreal, but the French in me never finds them quite as good as the ones at home.

Chausson aux pommes have always been one of my favorites. This buttery, flaky puff pastry semicircle filled with apple compote is pretty close to perfection. This recipe makes an easy make-at home version, made with triangular pieces of puff pastry and chunky apple sauce. These gorgeous treats are then puffed up in the oven until golden. These are perfect to enjoy for a nice afternoon snack or to start out the day. The best thing about them though, is that they freeze wonderfully well. Place a couple chaussons in freezable bags, brush with egg wash and cook straight from frozen when you're ready for a nice homemade fruity treat. I love this type of cooking - you put a little effort in now, and your freezer is then filled with goodies to enjoy at a later time.

Chaussons Aux Pommes

2 10x10 inch sheets of frozen puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
Granulated sugar, to dust the chaussons

Apple Compote
6 golden delicious apples
1 knob of butter
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Thaw the puff pastry according to package instructions.

Make the compote. Peel, core and cut the apples into bite-size chunks. In a small pan on medium low heat, add the apples, butter and sugar. Stir until the butter is melted and the sugar coats the apples. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice and cook for 10 minutes or until the chunks of apples have softened. Remove from the heat, and using a pestle or large spoon, break down the larger pieces of apples. The compote should be think and still chunky. Set aside.

Preheat your oven to 375F. Lay out a puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut the squares into 3 lengthwise strips, and cut each sheet into 3 rectangles (you can cut them into 2 rectangles for bigger chaussons). Cut each rectangle in half diagonally, to form triangles. Place about 2 tablespoons of compote at the center of of one triangle, and top with the other, making sure the compote doesn't spill. Using a fork, press down the pastry to seal the top triangle with the bottom one. Repeat with all the triangles, and repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry. Using a pastry brush, generously brush the top triangle with egg wash. Using a small knife, lightly score a crisscross pattern on the top of the triangle and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake on a parchment-line baking sheet for 10-12 minutes or until the triangles are golden and crisp.
Tip: If you find that the puff pastry if not as golden as you would want it, broil the chaussons for 1-2 minutes until golden. Keep a constant eye on the oven if you do this as they will go from perfect to burnt very fast!

24 comments:

Nina at Salt said...

C'est look superbe! One of my favorites, particularly that they do freeze so beautifully. Yours look perfect!

The Church Cook said...

Oh, goodness gracious! How beautiful to look at and the recipe looks wonderful!

Cooking Foodie said...

These look gorgeous... make me want to visit France...

Meg Luby said...

these look so lovely! they look like every turnover SHOULD look and more! yummmmm

thanks for posting, love it :)
-meg
@clutzycooking.blogspot.com
@myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

It is so hard to resist your great desciption and picture, what a great treat.

Jean said...

The boulangeries are one of my favorites about France, too. Just a few visits to the country had me falling in love with them--I can only imagine growing up there. Nothing must compare! My taste buds might not know any better biting into these, though. Your turnovers look so light and flaky. :-)

Anonymous said...

My one weakness is that I can never freeze things. I always bake everything up front and end up consuming it faster than I would have liked. I imagine this won't be an exception although I'll try!

Hannah said...

Possibly the best thing about this recipe is the fact that I already have all of the ingredients on hand. It may be hard to resist giving it a go, asap! They look wonderful.

Pure2raw twins said...

This looks heavenly!! And beautiful photo!

Nina Timm said...

This is just proof again how beautiful the simple things in life can be. Thank you for sharing!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

Wow, simple yet delicious!

Dana said...

I just recently got a challenge from my husband's HR person to make chaussons aux pommes because she feels there isn't a decent one to be found in Seattle (which might be true). I accepted the challenge and then panicked because I wasn't sure where to start. Should I make my own puff? What is the correct way to handle the apples? Having been a long time reader of your blog, and knowing you are French, I am going to start here. Thank you so much!

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

These would be delicious for a brunch and don't look to be too difficult. Thanks for the recipe!

Choclette said...

These sound wonderful. There is nothing quite like French pastries.

suvi said...

Hi! Thank you leaving a comment on my blog so I found yours in turn!

Been browsing through your posts and gaping your very awesome pictures.

These apple turnovers sound like a great idea, especially for those times when I am craving an apple pie but don't have the patience to make one!

Anonymous said...

Apple turnovers are my weak spot. These look fantastic!

vanillasugarblog said...

you can easily deliver these to me right? i mean its ok if they are cold when they arrive, I'm ok with that. lol ;-)

Lacey @ dishfolio.com said...

Wow. This looks just amazing. We'd love for you to share your recipe at dishfolio.com!

fromBAtoParis said...

Very well made! You can open a boulangerie wherever you are!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this recipe! Has anyone heard about The Foodnetwork show Recipe to Riches Check it out www.recipetoriches.ca I will be entering my butter tarts in the hopes to win $250,000!!

Megan @ FeastingonArt said...

So lovely, your photographs make me very hungry

Anonymous said...

I LOVE aux pommes... they are my favorite, I pick up one from the bakery often, you are inspiring me to mae this = ) it looks toothsome.

Pastek said...

Une petite boulangerie qui ne paye pas de mine à Montréal mais où la baguette est à ce jour la meilleure que j'ai pu gouter ici: coin Visitation et Ontario. La baguette est à 1.80$ et vraiment bonne, surtout pour ici. Les croissants et pains au chocolat y sont corrects aussi, même si pas aussi fameux. ;)(tu l'auras deviné mais moi aussi je suis une française expatriée au QC, et je partage ton manque envers les boulangeries!)
Et à part ça, très joli blog!

Food Courts said...

Oh my goodness, I have just found your blog and I think I love it. I will try this at my home.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin