Friday, October 16, 2009

Apple Sauce


This recipe concludes my couple weeks of apple recipes. It was pretty exhilarating to look at my woven basket of apples everyday, with a dozen possibilities of what do with them, and then get excitedly into the kitchen to test different recipes. You'd think I'd be all appled-out, but I've planned to go apple picking again this weekend. I've got to make the most out of Fall while it's still here.

Apple sauce really is the perfect recipe to make when you have more apples than you can chew.. literally. It's easy to make, flavorful, and you'll find yourself enjoying it in many different ways. I used them to make caramel and apple cupcakes (by using the apple sauce in the batter), as a simple compote dessert, or as a great addition to a small bowl of thick Greek yogurt. I only wish I had made more... hence the continued apple-picking!

Apple Sauce

10 apples (I used a mix of McIntosh and Cortland)
3/4 cups of water
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
A pinch of kosher salt
3 tablespoons of loosely packed brown sugar

Peel and core the apples. Cut them into bite-size chunks. In a stock pot, on medium low heat, add the apples, water, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and lemon juice. Cook on low heat for 10-12 minutes, or until the apples are soft. If you like your apple sauce chunky, remove from the heat when the apple chunks are soft but still hold their shape. If you don't, cook for a few minutes longer, or until the chunks completely break down. Taste and adjust seasoning. I added a couple extra drops of lemon juice, and a little more cinnamon.

Cool down, and enjoy! You can then keep the apple sauce in the fridge for several days.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my! this is looks sooo cute! and must taste ah!azing!!!

Ravenous Couple said...

stunning! perfect timing for this season as well..

Chele said...

Great post! I'm going to need to turn my apples into some sauce me thinks!

Tammy said...

I've enjoyed all your apple posts, especially this one. I love your cute red spoon!

Muneeba said...

Beautiful pic ... love the composition and colors!

Cynthia said...

Seems like ages since I've been here. Hoping you are well.

Simones Kitchen said...

I love applesauce! Great photo too!

Anonymous said...

Loved your apple series, specially the palmiers and the pudding! All in my evergrowing to make list...

Anonymous said...

never made my own applesauce, but given how much I like eating it, it's definitely time...

Trissa said...

I loved this apple series!! Especially the apple sauce and palmiers!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Chele: You definitely should! Let me know how yours turns out!

bluejeangourmet: It's so easy to make that it's really worth making your own!

gaga said...

Wow, you made something as simple as apple sauce look mouth watering!

Beaute said...

Hi, I tried to cook the sauce and it's great! My daughters were very excited. most of us taste the yoghurt. I send a kiss and a greeting from the Czech Republic

Beaute said...

Hi, I tried to cook the sauce and it's great! My daughters were very excited. most of us taste the yoghurt. I send a kiss and a greeting from the Czech Republic

Beaute said...

Hi, I tried to cook the sauce and it's great! My daughters were very excited. most of us taste the yoghurt. I send a kiss and a greeting from the Czech Republic

peasepudding said...

I can just imagine how yummy that would be on cereal in the morning with some Greek yogurt. Lovely photograph too.

Kathleen said...

I love apple sauce. I'm making pork tomorrow. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Something's Dishy said...

I love the photo and what a wonderful way to use up old apples.

Lovely blog by the way!

Cheri said...

Yum! You have such a lovely blog and your photos are fantastic!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Beaute: I'm glad you liked the recipe!

Cheri: Thanks Cheri! Hope to see you back here soon!

Ash said...

Oh, I just love this!! I need me to make some of this and put it in an adorable jar!!

Zurin said...

the applesauce looks so good and delicious. yummy..loving the pics..tq for sharing :)

The Cooking Photographer said...

Pretty pretty shot! I love that spoon! The open aperture setting for this shot is really nice.

tasteofbeirut said...

wonderful recipe and so useful!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin