Thursday, October 1, 2009

Apple and Potato Fritters with Sour Cream and Herb Dipping Sauce


My grandfather made the most amazing potato galettes. Unfortunately his recipe was never really written down and my mother and grandma both have only a vague idea of how he made them. I enjoy playing around with potato fritter recipes and like to think that he lends his watchful eye when I get in the kitchen and try them out.

If you've been reading my posts this week you'll know that I have A LOT of apples to use! I grated a couple apples into these potato galettes and it really was delicious. The apple adds a nice and subtle sweetness to the starchy potatoes, and the crispy fritters dipped into a cold herby dip makes for the perfect snack.

Apple and Potato Fritters with Sour Cream and Herb Dipping Sauce

Makes about 15 small fritters

150 grams of grated potatoes
1 large macintosh apple, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons of Parmesan
2 tablespoons of rice or cake flour
1 egg yolk
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Vegetable oil

Grate the potatoes and apple into a small bowl. Place the mix into a kitchen towel and drain out the water. Transfer back to the bowl and fold in the flour, Parmesan and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Add the egg yolk and gently mix so all the ingredients are well incorporated.

Add a good drizzle of vegetable oil to a non-stick pan or skillet. Once the oil is hot, drop a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture and flatten to form a disc with the back of a spoon. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the side in contact with the skillet is nice and golden brown. Flip the fritters and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and place on paper towels to soak up excess oil.

Sauce:
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Whisk the sour cream and parsley in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and serve alongside the fritters.

26 comments:

KennyT said...

How gorgeous these fritters are! They look oh so yummy!!!

A Bowl Of Mush said...

Yum! Drool!
I'm bookmarking these, lovely flavors!

Carrie said...

These look absolutely fabulous! I'm so curious how they taste with the apple in there.

vanillasugarblog said...

Oh how I love apple fritters. :::sigh:::
These look sooooo good!!

Anonymous said...

These look DIVINE!!!! I love potato fritters and I am anxious to try these out... :)

Noob Cook said...

I love apples and potatoes, and I love the beautiful fitters you made with them. Gorgeous! :)

Zurin said...

These look and sound yummy. I love potates..one of my favorite foods but never thought of combining them with apples. How ingenious!

Sara said...

I love these, I make really yummy potato and onion cakes that would be even better with some grated apple added in. Looks fabulous!

Muneeba said...

These are going straight into my "snacks" file ... can't wait to bite into these! So pretty! Loving your blog, your recipes, and definitely your pics!

Veggie Belly said...

Oh my! That looks so very yummy!

peasepudding said...

They sound delicious and look gorgeous, lovely photos!

The Cookbook Apprentice said...

These look just wonderful! It's interesting, today I posted a blog about a recipe similar to a soup my grandmother made which I don't have a recipe for.

Rawmazing said...

Beautiful photography! So nice to find you!

Reginald said...

Yum!

I gonna gives these a try.

Great job (and the photog

is amazing!)

Cheers.

Ramya Kiran said...

Wow, thats looking delicious!

Leslie said...

I love the idea of the apples in with the potatoes!!!!
Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my Halloween Cookies

Karen said...

Oh man these look good. I love fritters, and dipping sauce is required! You have inspired me to cook some up this weekend, which I haven't done in way too long!

Candy said...

These look sooo good! And I have all the ingredients to make them!

Sam@BingeNYC said...

Yum yum yum! Love the flavor combo of apple + potato. These look fantastic.

Pamela said...

Those fritters look amazing and I bet they taste even better.

test it comm said...

I like the sound of mixing apple into those savoury potato fritters.

Anonymous said...

Love this combination! I never made an apple pie I was going to, so I may have to make these.

Christine said...

I'm excited to try these myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Two fit and fun gals said...

this looks amazing, definitely bookmarking it :)

u have lovely photo's & such uniquie recipes, keep it up xx

Anonymous said...

Made these as an appetizer for Thanksgiving, served with apple-cranberry chutney. They were well received and I want some more right now ... thanks for the recipe! BTW I added a couple tablespoons of onion and an extra egg. Just FWIW.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Anonymous: I'm so glad you liked them! Onions are definitely a good call for these! They're also very good with a couple tablespoons of grated aged cheddar cheese.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin