Monday, September 17, 2012

The Easiest Blueberry Tarts

No matter how satisfying making dough is, sometimes you just need a fast alternative. Don't get me wrong, I love making dough from scratch - taking a few simple ingredients and turning them into a pliable, versatile dough always seems rather magical. But for those times when you're really in a pinch, I'll let you in on my go-to solution

Phyllo dough is the hero of the show here - I like to use whole-wheat phyllo dough, but regular works just fine as well. Simply cut out circles of dough using a cookie cutter (or tracing around a glass with a pairing knife). You can easily free-form these using mini muffin tins. They then crisp up wonderfully thanks to a warm oven and a little melted butter. In the summer, I love filling these with wild blueberries, a simple sprinkling in each crisped-up shell makes the perfect sweet treat - but during the wintertime, these work wonders filled with a little chocolate ganache and a dollop of whipped cream.
The Easiest Blueberry Tarts
Makes 12 tarts

6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup mascarpone
1/3 cup lemon curd
2 handfuls wild blueberries

Preheat your oven to 375F. Lay out a sheet of phyllo dough. Gently brush with butter, layer second sheet over top, brush with butter and add final sheet of phyllo. Cut out 6 circles of dough, about 1 and half sizes bigger than each mini muffin mold. Repeat with remaining 3 sheets.

Press each layered circles of dough in tins. Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Baked for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove from muffin tins and leave to cool on cooling rack. In the meantime, mix mascarpone and lemon curd until smooth. Once tart shells have completely cooled, divide mascarpone cream between shells. Top with blueberries. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies said...

What a great idea! I've never seen whole wheat phyllo dough...will have to give it a try with regular phyllo dough!

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks wonderful

Mardi Michels said...

These are absolutely gorgeous Jen - and so simple! I need to look out for some whole wheat phyllo too!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this would work with puff pastry dough as well. I'll have to try it!

Laura said...

I like what yummychunklet asked. At the risk of sounding uber lazy, when I am feel lazy I don't even wanna separate phyllo dough sheets! But these look awesome. Now I want someone who doesn't get easily frustrated by phyllo to come make them for me! :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

Yummychunklet: this should definitely work with puff pastry as well! There's added easiness with phyllo dough though because you don't have to roll out the pastry at all so it's a perfect solution for last minute entertaining.

WokandSpoon said...

I'm used to using phyllo for savory dishes rather than sweet. This looks really quick and easy to make with lovely results!

Hannah said...

Beautiful, beautiful little treats. Very timely too, since I have a package of [accidentally] thawed phyllo in my fridge and nothing to do with it.

Where on earth did you get your perforated sheet, and what brand is it? It's so eye-catching, and I never would have though of using one as a photography background before.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin