Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Parmesan and Herb Mashed Potatoes



With Thanksgiving only days away here in Canada I thought I would post an easy side dish recipe that pairs wonderfully with deliciously moist turkey and sides such as green bean salad or beet puree. I certainly didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving (it's obviously not a holiday of any kind in France!) but it's a tradition I have come to embrace since moving to North America. There's a little French touch in all the dishes I like to serve for the big day - and it's been a nice way to bring in a little of my upbringing and culture into the mix.

For this potato puree, I added some fresh herbs and some good quality Parmesan cheese to a classic buttery mashed potato recipe. These few easy additions help turn simple mashed potatoes into something a little more special.

For more of my Fall recipes, take a peak at Canadian Gardening. What will you be serving this Thanksgiving?


Parmesan and Herb Mashed Potatoes


8 large Yukon gold potatoes
2 tablespoons of butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of good quality Parmesan shavings
2 tablespoon of finely chopped parsleySalt and freshly cracked black pepper

Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Add the potatoes to a stockpot and fill with cold water to cover. Add a couple teaspoons of coarse kosher salt and bring to a boil.

Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are completely cooked and tender. Drain the potatoes and immediately return to the warm stock pot.

Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until they begin to break down, about 30 seconds. Add the butter and mash vigorously to melt. Add the milk and mash again until the mixture is smooth and silky. If the mixture is too chunky for your liking add a couple more tablespoons of milk.

Once the potatoes have reached the desired consistency, fold in the Parmesan cheese and herbs. Add a couple good pinches of salt and pepper and serve immediately.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, can't believe how many calories you save using milk and parmesan instead of tonnes of butter and cream! lovely, and nice touch with parsley, I'll surely give it a try!

Claudie said...

Those mashed potatoes look perfect - just the right texture! And now I'm really craving for some... pairing them with parmesan must add an amazing taste too. I guess I'll have to try this recipe for the US Thanksgiving (or sooner ;) )

Christine said...

So Jennifer, I took your advice and went to Canadian Gardening to look for more of your recipes there. Your apples look AMAZING! Where did you get those sticks? But first must deal with sudden onset potato craving... Hmmmm

Chocolate Shavings said...

Christine: I'm glad you like them! I used wooden sticks that I wrapped in ribbon and tied in a bow. It's a pretty easy DIY project and it makes the apples stand out. I hope you give them a try!

http://ourchocolateshavings.blogspot.com/2009/10/caramel-apple.html

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

This is perfect any time of year in my book. Love the freshness of the parsley!

MaryBeth said...

These are the perfect potatoes in my opinion...

Chocolate Shavings said...

MaryBeth: Thanks! It's a great way to give mashed potatoes a little something extra!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin