Friday, March 4, 2011

Tomates Provencales


This dish is the ultimate reminder of the food I grew up eating in France. When baked, tomatoes become incredibly sweet. These are filled with breadcrumbs and herbs which complement the juicy tomato flesh. I like to serve these alongside roast beef, braised lamb or lemon sauteed sole. This dish is best enjoyed when tomatoes are at their peak, and with homemade coarse breadcrumbs... but realistically, you can't always make that happen. They are also delicious with store-bought breadcrumbs, and, in the middle of the winter, it's a nice reminder that spring is just around the corner.

This photo was taken before these tomatoes went in the oven... and once cooked they disappeared before I had time to shoot them!
Tomates Provencales
Serves 2-4

3 large plump tomatoes, halved
3 garlic cloves, crushed and finely diced
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Extra virgin olive oil

Preheat your oven to 375F. Lay out the tomatoes seed side up, in a large oven-proof baking dish. Scoop out some of the seeds to make more room for the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, garlic and parsley. Using a small spoon, fill the tomatoes with the breadcrumbs mixture. Drizzle with some olive oil and bake for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

19 comments:

Nisrine, Dinners and Dreams said...

My mom made these sometimes. Hers were very garlicky and delicious. Yours look delightful as well. What a great reminder of a recipe I have long forgotten about.
Thanks!

Laura said...

Yum! Roasting tomatoes is one of my favorite ways to increase and concentrate their flavor and this recipe sounds like an awesome way to do just that! Thanks for sharing - I can't wait to try this one!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you were French..me too, what part of France did you grow up in? My family is from Lorraine...

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

My husband's family has made these for years so consequently so have I. I think they go with just about anything. Your recipe is almost identical to ours. Nothing beats Tomatoes Provencale.
Sam

Chocolate Shavings said...

elle marie: From Paris!

Anonymous said...

Deliciosos tus tomates. Feliz fin de semana and hello from spain.

Kat said...

They look delicious. Thanks for sharing. If you get a chance, please visit my blog. I am having a giveaway. Enjoy your weekend.
http://sweetkatskitchen.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

These look so fancy! I love how this simple dish can look so decadent.

Farida said...

Love Tomatoes for healthy cooks and every day I always add the tomatoes in my cooking.

Farida
http://kitchensuperfood.com/tomato-soup-and-bean-soup/

pigpigscorner said...

They look delicious! I can understand why they disappeared so quickly!

Anonymous said...

Mmm I love tomatoes provencales. They're so simple and really highlight how delicious tomatoes really are when fresh!

A Bowl Of Mush said...

These look beautiful!
I think I'll be making lot's of them now this summer.

Claudie said...

So pretty! Those tomatoes look wonderful.

Robostir said...

Thanks for this tomatoes provencales recipe. They sound (and look!) wonderful.

Kankana said...

This is one our fav .. it's so easy to make and always tastes awsm!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

These are stunning! Love the simplicity... and I can just imagine how great the tomatoes must taste.

polwig said...

I have never roasted tomatoes, well maybe a bit for a sauce but not really. I need to try this in a month or two when tomatoes become in abundance

lucy said...

assolutamente deliziosi ei pomodori ripieni.ottimo blog, complimenti e bellissime foto.ti seguirò volentieri

M Jazeel said...

My sister makes these, and she uses to add some more diced vegetables into the breadcrum mixture.. This recipe never gets out of taste

Blog Widget by LinkWithin