Monday, October 25, 2010

Pear and Buckwheat Pancakes


First, I should start this post by saying that I'm usually a crepe lover. I grew up with crepes being a family weekend staple, usually enjoyed with just a a little granulated sugar and a generous squeeze of lemon. My mom, as I've mentioned before, doesn't cook very much, but what she makes, she makes amazingly well.

Let me tell you, even though I didn't grow up eating pancakes (when I first moved here I use to call them crepes, fatter and less popular cousin) these pancakes are absolutely amazing and didn't make me miss the crepes a single second! They are part of my new quest in the kitchen: baking with new types of flours. I've always had the feeling that flour was needed in baked goods but really didn't bring much in the flavor department. By using more flavorful, textured flours you end up needing to use a lot less sugar as well. Let's face it, if flour and sugar were in a battle they would be carrying pretty similar weapons. Sugar, besides pure, basic sweetness, holds very little subtleties in flavor. That's why I usually tend to use brown sugar instead of white as the addition of molasses makes the taste of the sugar more interesting. In the case of these little pancakes, the buckwheat flour mixed in with freshly grated pears makes them the best pancakes I've ever had.

Pear and Buckwheat Pancakes

Adapted From Good to the Grain

Dry Mix:
1 cup of buckwheat flour
1 cup of whole-grain pastry flour
3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
2 tsp of baking powder
3/4 tsp of kosher salt

Wet Mix:
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 + 1/4 cup of whole milk
1 egg
2 medium ripe pears

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl.

In another bowl, whisk the melted butter, milk and egg until thoroughly combined.

Peel the pears. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the whole, peeled pears into the milk mixture. The pear juice should fall into the milk along with the grated pears.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently combine using a rubber spatula.

Heat a cast iron pan or griddle over medium heat until water sizzles when splashed on the pan. Rub the pan generously with butter. Working quickly, dollop 1/4 cup mounds of batter onto the pan.

Once bubbles have begun to form, flip and cook until bottoms are golden brown. The pancakes should cook for about 5 minutes total.

Wipe the pan with a cloth before the next batch and rub the pan with butter again. Serve warm, with maple syrup and fresh fruit. Enjoy!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love buckwheat. Great idea to put it in pancakes!

inka said...

heaven....:)

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely picture

Audrey said...

I just bought some buckwheat flour, because there's a buckwheat and dried pear bread I've been wanting to try. Can't find DRIED pears anywhere (except online), and I love fresh pears, so I think you're inspiring me to go in a different direction...thanks for sharing; this sounds so good!

angela walker jewelry said...

Going to try this recipe next weekend! Sounds delicious. :)
Health and happiness,
Angela

Simones Kitchen said...

I love buckwheat but have never used it in pancakes before! Well i used it in blini so technically i DID use it in pancakes but still... This sounds so delicious with the pear mixed in!!

Prerna@IndianSimmer said...

Love buckwheat and love the recipe but I have to admit that the photograph beats it all! Gorgeous shot!

Unknown said...

Buckwheat is a new flour to me. I will try to get my hands on some to try this.

Taz said...

yum, these sound delicious!

~Lisa~ said...

I love pancakes, crepes, love it all. And this recipe sounds delicious. And love love love the photo!

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

I love that you used to call them crepes fatter cousin. Awesome!

Nina Timm said...

Yikes, that is beautiful. Lovely pic and I bet it tasted divine!!

CC11 said...

I've always wondered what buckwheat pancakes were like, and yours sound yummy :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

I am so in love with that book, too! And I've been trying to use different kinds of flours as well, Jen. Those pancakes look absurdly good! I wonder if I can still find pears around here, since it's spring already.

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

I am with you on the use of healthier and diverse flours. It is rare that I use a traditional white flour around here. I have been wondering what to cook up with some pears we have - these pancakes need to be created!

A Canadian Foodie said...

I do a pancake unit with my grade 7's and this would be a great recipe for nearer the end of the unit as it is a bit complex, but it would open a whole new world of ideas for them.
:)
Valerie

Maria @ Scandi Foodie said...

These looks so delicious. I love using buckwheat flour in pancakes too and pear is always a winner! Gorgeous!

pigpigscorner said...

Buckwheat? I shall keep that in mind!

Joudie's Mood Food said...

What a lovely recipe/ I ove crepes too. Especially crepes suzettes....

Deborah said...

This would be the perfect weekend breakfast!

Kasper said...

Made it yesterday and it will be my new standard pancake recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin