Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa


Regular readers of this blog will know that I don't do too well with spicy foods. Don't get me wrong, I want to be able to order those spicy Thai and Indian dishes - but the truth is that I just can't! I've gotten better over the years out of sheer determination but I'm not quite there yet. For that reason, I've had trouble truly experiencing good Mexican food. This next sentence might make true Mexican food connoisseurs cringe, but Chipotle really made me want to make Mexican food at home. Although a lot of their offerings are spicy, their carnitas with mild tomato salsa, a dollop of guacamole, cilantro-rice and crispy tacos are really quite amazing. I'm not a fast food lover, but in my opinion, Chipotle really delivers on flavourful food while keeping in mind the ethics surrounding meat products. The meat is naturally and sustainably raised and is absolutely delicious.

When I was completing my Culinary Arts degree at the French Culinary Institute, I lived pretty close to a Chipotle and I must admit that I was often too tired to cook for myself after a long day of intense kitchen training... so this was my initial inspiration! This recipe is different though, and features beautiful pieces of flaky halibut (Chipotle, unfortunately, does not make fish tacos!). These are a healthy and light meal for a summer night as well as a perfect party food. Lay out a plate of seasoned fish, a tangy sauce and some mango salsa and every guest can make their own taco. I use Greek yogurt to make the sauce (as a healthier option to sour cream) but feel free to use sour cream or creme fraiche.

Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa

Serves 4

3 medium halibut fillet
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 lime
Olive oil

Mango Salsa:

1 mango, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
1/2 lime, juice and zest
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil

Sauce:
1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
Salt and freshly ground pepper

12 hard tacos, reheated in a warm oven

Generously season the fish with salt and pepper. In a pan on medium heat add a drizzle of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the fish to the pan and cook untouched for 5 minutes. Turn the fish over and cook for another 5 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through. Cut the fish into cubes as soon as it's cool enough to handle and arrange on a platter with some lime slices.

For the salsa: Add the mango, avocado, tomato and cilantro to your serving bowl. Add the lime juice, zest, olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper.

For the sauce: In a small bowl, add the yogurt and fold in the cilantro and lime juice. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Serve the fish, tacos, salsa and yogurt sauce at the table and let everyone make their own taco. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Alice said...

I will definitely try!

Jess @ Sugar High said...

I'd cry if I couldn't enjoy spicy food! I love spicy - the spicier the better. :)
Fish tacos are so good! I love your addition of mango salsa, and yogurt sauce. Looks very yummy.

Jess-Sugar High
asugarhigh.blogspot.com

Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen said...

I made fish tacos the other night but now I know what was missing...the cream sauce. Yipee...ready to try them again!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Chipotle! Guilty pleasure. This looks even better though and I'm quite excited to try it out! The mango salsa especially. Yum!

Deana Sidney said...

I am just crazy for fish tacos in the summer. The mango salsa is an inspired addition to my fish taco arsenal.. many thanks.

Karen @ Mignardise said...

I love fish tacos! Your photo is so beautiful. When I tried to photograph mine, it looked so messy. Doing the ingredients individually is a great idea!

Jackie at Phamfatale.com said...

I agree with you; fish tacos are healthy, flavorful and so easy to make. Check out my cod fish version ;) http://www.phamfatale.com/id_1387/title_Gourmet-Fish-Taco-Recipe/

Darina said...

This looks delicious. I can't eat spicy food either. Isn't it a frag? You have my full sympathies.

Great photos, as always.

Unique Chocolate Gifts said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe.I would probably try this one. Hope I can make it through.

Unique Chocolate Gifts said...

It looks delicious, i would probably try this one.Thank you for sharing

Amelia PS said...

wonderfully refreshing, perfect for a summer night over the sea

Naomi said...

Love the idea of using greek yogurt sour cream. As an aside, I love Chipotle! Hard not to love a place that serves burritos the size of a baby's leg.

Torviewtoronto said...

Lovely salsa a delicious complete meal

dining tables said...

The salsa looks so perfect! I love the colors and the yogurt sauce there really adds texture.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin