Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pita Sandwiches with Flank Steak, Tomato and Avocado and Lemony Yogurt Sauce


When the weather warms up, I'm usually in the mood for lighter lunches, bursting with color and flavor that I can make pretty quickly. This was the perfect, perfect summer lunch. It allowed us to inaugurate our BBQ for the season - having been gone for a while, we hadn't used it this month yet - and to make the most of the fresh produce we got at the farmer's market. Flank steak is always a great option for a cheap and satisfying meal in my book, and for a light lunch you really don't need much. It's perfect to grill on a BBQ, is ready in minutes and is perfectly juicy. Paired with a lemony cucumber yogurt sauce and a medley of colorful tomatoes with some plump avocado, we were set for our perfect summer lunch. What great summer lunches have you been making so far this year?

Pita Sandwiches with Flank Steak, Tomato and Avocado and Lemony Yogurt Sauce
Serves 2

One 300g piece of flank steak
8 cherry tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 avocado, cut into bite size pieces
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 circles of pita bread
Salt and freshly ground pepper

For the Yogurt Sauce:
1/2 cup of greek yogurt
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon of olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup of seeded cucumber, finely diced

In a small bowl, add the quartered tomatoes and avocado. Drizzle with the 2 teaspoons of olive oil and two teaspoons of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Leave to marinate in the fridge while you prepare the rest.

Set your BBQ (or indoor griddle) to medium high heat. Generously season the flank steak with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the steak is just medium rare.

While the meat is resting, make the yogurt sauce. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and add the diced cucumber. Thinly slice the meat against the grain.

To make the sandwiches, lay out a piece of pita bread, add a few slices of beef, a couple spoonful of the tomato and avocado salad and yogurt sauce. Wrap the pitas. Enjoy!

29 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

I tend to make a lot of salads for light summer lunches during the summer, but this pita would be a tasty alternative. I love the little tomatoes, and I imagine that lemony yogurt sauce is very flavorful.

Alejandra Ramos said...

This looks wonderful! I"ve been living on lamb salads doused in yogurt dressing so this might be just the thing to mix it up a bit. A perfect summer lunch!

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Flank Steak is one of my favorites. It is perfect for summer and barbecuing. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh my, y hubby would really love this - looks very light and great for a hot summer day.,

Adventures in Domestic Cooking said...

A perfect lunch indeed!!=)

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

We eat a lot of flank steak because my husband can't go more than a day without eating steak. These sound like a great way to spice it up. Looks delicious.

vanillasugarblog said...

those little yellow tomatoes i love so much and cannot find anywhere :-(
what a great combo of flavors in a pita...must try that sauce, since i am a sauce-junkie.

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Wow, that sandwich look amazing! What a fabulous combination of flavors - thanks for sharing:)

Keri said...

In Two Words... Gor Geous! Love your blog and the sandwiches are fabulous. I'm your follower now. come to my sandwich blog some time, I'd be honored. Keri a.k.a. Sam

Prerna said...

What a co-incidence! I'm sitting here and eating some pita chips with sprouts dressing and I open your Pita sandwich recipe :-) I love it!
Thanx for visiting my space and also appreciating it!
Looking forward to see some more beautiful recipes from you also some wonderful comments about my work.

Lea Ann said...

Beautiful! I love flank steak and these sandwiches look divine. What a great combination of flavors. Thanks for sending along the recipe.

pigpigscorner said...

Wow this looks very Summery! I like the sound of that lemony yogurt sauce.

Lynda said...

Great recipe and photo! This would be delicious with lamb too!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Lynda: Definitely - lamb and yogurt is always a great combo!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

This looks SO good! A perfect summer lunch or even dinner. I am in the middle of a move but when I get to my place I'll let you know what I'm cooking up for lunch:)

Kate Morgan Jackson said...

Oh my GOSH! Love, love, love this. I never know what to do with the leftover flank steak. Making this next weekend for sure!!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Kate Morgan Jackson: It's definitely a good way to use up leftovers - let me know how it turns out!

Kerry said...

I made these last night and they ROCKED! Thnx :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

Kerry: I'm glad you enjoyed them!

My Man's Belly said...

You gotta love flank steak. You can do almost anything with it. These look fantastic.

CookiePie said...

That looks FANTASTIC!!! Drool! Love all the different flavors and textures you have in there.

Chocolate Corporate Gifts said...

what else can I say? its really awesome...

Chef Dennis Littley said...

HI Jenn
now that is a beautiful sandwich! those yellow grape tomatoes are my favorite, I have two plants growing out back! Your presentation and the image are just spectacular!!
All the Best!
Dennis

The Urban Baker said...

I love summer food! I love this photo! Yum!

Rebecca said...

I made these too! We only had fajita tortillas at the small grocery store where I went, so I used those... but they were still DELICIOUS!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Rebecca: I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Kim (Liv Life) said...

With some left over flank steak sitting in the fridge, this looks like a perfect lunch. My husbang will be thrilled!

A Little Yumminess said...

What an awesome photo. Great summer food!

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Sounds delicious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin