Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Icing


Lemon, lemon, lemon, how I love, love, love thee. This blog was almost called Chocolate Shavings and Lemon Zest, but in an effort to contain my sometimes all-over-the-place thoughts, I opted for concise! I can never get over how zesting a little lemon into a dessert makes all the difference in the end result or how squeezing a couple squirts of lemon juice right before serving a pasta dish brings it to a whole new level. Have you ever tried zesting a touch of lemon over a spinach and toasted almond salad with a lemon/olive oil vinaigrette? If not, give it a try next time you want to make a simple salad special and let me know how it goes!

Citrus desserts are really a wonderful way to welcome spring, and, even though it snowed here yesterday, I've decided that this kitchen will be spring-y whether it wants to or not! This lemon pound cake was light and packed with flavor but the icing was my favorite part. (Then again, isn't icing ALWAYS the best part? - for those of us who will eternally be children it definitely always is). This icing contains a little touch of heavy cream which makes it wonderfully thick and glossy and coats the pound cake to perfection. Have you ever made a simple glaze to top a cake and love the taste but wish that it would be more visible and thick over the dessert? A little cream really is the answer to that!

In terms of recent food news, I attended the launch of Food Network Canada's newest show Bitchin' Kitchen. You can check out my account of the night on Food Network's website in a couple days, but for now, all I can say is that Food Network is going to be shaken and changed with this new concept! I'm also headed to Martin Picard's Cabane a Sucre this weekend so there will be a lot of good eating and maple-syrup coming my way. I will keep you posted!

Lemon Pound Cake (adapted from Martha Stewart)
Serves 4-6

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
3/4 cup of granulated sugar, plus more for dusting
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus finely grated zest of 2 lemons
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Dust with sugar, and tap out excess; set aside. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir together the lemon juice and the milk.
Put butter and 3/4 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in eggs and zest. Working in two batches, alternate mixing in flour mixture and milk mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes.

Tip: The milk will look curdled when you add the lemon juice but don't worry, it won't affect the final result!

Drippy Icing

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Pour through a sieve into another bowl. Use immediately.

49 comments:

Roni Pollington said...

This recipe sounds unbelievably so yummy! Lemon happens to be one of my fav! I will definitely be saving this recipe and giving it a try!

A Bowl Of Mush said...

Lemon poundcake is my favorite thing in the world!

So beautiful! :)

Núria said...

Just bought some kitchen gadgets today and can't wait to start my "mona" cake for Easter. I love your lemon recipe and Yes!... the Icing gives it such an elegant and delicious presentation.

Poires au Chocolat said...

I love lemon cake! It's got to the point that I really have to stop posting various lemon/citrus cakes.

Also, the cream thing is pure genius - I'd never thought of that!

naomi said...

YUM!!! Lemon is my second favorite flavor(next to chocolate). Going to give this recipe a go. thanks.

JuLo said...

I often have issues with the consistency of my icings. They're always either too thick or too thin it seems. I'll have to try the heavy cream trick. Thanks!

I love lemon pound cake any time of year too. It's comforting in winter and refreshing in summer. :)

Simones Kitchen said...

That looks so much like the delicious cake I made for my birthday! And you're right you can never have too much lemon!! It's one of the best flavors out there!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Wow what a delicious looking cake. It looks like it has such a tender crumb too - and that icing puts it over the top.

Chele said...

Yum! Defo going to try your tips for lemon juice dressing on the salad and the cream in the icing.

Memória said...

This cake looks AMAZING!! I love the icing part. I'm bookmarking this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Looove the look of that lemon pound cake - it is soo Spring-y! Makes me happy just looking at it:)That Bitchen' Kitchen show looks pretty funny - wonder if we'll get it here in the States. Thanks so much for sharing!
Stephanie

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Love the zing of lemon in desserts and savory foods.

I'm with you! Icing, frosting, and glaze I'l take more please. :)
~ingrid

Aimée said...

Gorgeous pound cake. This just might make my Easter brunch menu!

Can't. WAIT. for sugar shack this weekend! Looking forward to seeing you.

Valen said...

I was just thinking about a lemon pound cake and roasted cauliflower, funny how things work out that way!

Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) said...

Lemon is in the air! I just made a lemon bar dessert that is now a fave. This looks delicious as well!

Unknown said...

Citrus in any cake is a winning flavour for me. How can anyone not love this gorgeous cake.

Nina Timm said...

ai, jai jai, I could happily have a slice of that with my morning coffee!!!

The Italian Dish said...

Oh, wow. I've got a friend who adores lemon anything - I'm definitely making this for her.

Sarah Naveen said...

Oh My!!! beautifull click..and that looks awesome!!!

ARUNA said...

This looks great!!!

Deana Sidney said...

Lemons are good on anything... the more the better and MArtha really knows what to do with them... one of my favorite things in the world is her sour lemon sauce... haven't tried this yet but look forward to it.

Deeba PAB said...

What a stunning cake... citrus is right up my street. This is so elegant & whimsical Jen!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

What a gorgeous cake! I can just imagine the bright flavors.

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

That thick layer of Lemon Icing looks like the perfect topper to this Lemon Pound Cake. Before I read your description I noticed that nice thick layer. I made applesauce tonight & always love to squeeze some lemon in for depth of flavor....unfortunately we are all out. Love our lemons!

frabala said...

I wish i had on piece with my coffee now!

natalia said...

Since I love lemon cakes I definitely want to try this wonder !!

Deeba PAB said...

Been here a number of times to thank you for hosting the beautiful DB challenge. Don't see the post up here. THANKS for hosting this month Jen.

my little expat kitchen said...

Love the way the icing just drips off the pound cake. Yummy! I have serious sugar cravings now.
First time at your blog... It's fantastic. Love your recipes.
Magda

Mallini said...

That looks really good, who doesn't love a good pound cake. And with icing too!! But, pray tell, where's you DB post? Thanks for this months challenge, I now know what a Tian is!

Jamie said...

That is some cake! I love lemon cake but that frosting is so much more luxurious and mouthwatering than the simple lemon sugar glaze I usually use. Fabulous must-try recipe!

Dharm said...

Looks great!! Your DB Post not up yet??

Lucie said...

This looks so good - I love Lemon cake. I must try a Martha recipe, I must confess that I have never tried a Martha recipe before! Love your blog, I shall be back :) Lucie

Lisa said...

This cake looks so light and delicate, almost like a cloud of lemon. Your beautiful photography enhances that.

That said, I came by to thank you for a wonderful challenge. I was hoping you had your post up, but I suppose I'll have to wait. You were a fantastic host, and I enjoyed it very much! One day I will love orange marmalade..I know it LOL

Sue said...

I pretty much love all things lemon too! This pound cake looks heavenly! Great blog! BTW...THANKS for the great DB CHALLENGE this month!

Food lover said...

Hi! Tried this recipe over the weekend, replacing lemon with oranges - it tasted great! Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

I do do do do do love your lemon cake :) I am a big fan of lemon too and use it in my salads, cakes, soups etc

Lori said...

This cake looks real good.

I keep checking back waiting for you to post your tian.

Renata said...

That looks sooooooo good! I love lemon desserts!

Renata said...

That looks sooooooo good! I love lemon desserts!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is one delicious looking cake! Thanks for choosing this month's DB challenge. I loved it!

Cheers,

Rosa

kimberleyblue said...

I went to the APDC sugar shack on their opening weekend - you're not going to be disappointed, and make sure you go very, very hungry!

Great looking lemon cake - citrus desserts are always the best.

Veggie Belly said...

that is such a gorgeous picture!

Anonymous said...

I've been seeing lemon bakes all over, and this definitely caught my attention! I must must must try this out :)

Anonymous said...

Yuuummm I love lemon too! This looks absolutely lovely. Love the picture with the red and white napkin.
-Stephanie

Cakebrain said...

I love lemon pound cake!Just thinking about has my doing the Pavlovian drool! mmmm!love the drizzly icing too!

Chocolate Freckles said...

Ohhh Beautiful Picture and amazing Pound Cake!!

Traveller said...

Yum! This looks amazing! I love lemon cake :)

Coco Bean said...

I love this recipe, it's the one I uses also@!!

Grace said...

Too funny, I just spotted this recipe on Martha's site, looks absolutely delicious and I am wishing I had a piece to go with my tea right now.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin