Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Baked Eggs with Potatoes and Pancetta


This recipe is really an easy dish idea that you can adapt depending on what you have on hand. Today, it was fingerling potatoes, crispy pancetta, a hint of cream and some Parmesan cheese. Serve it with a simple green salad and dinner is served!

These are the types of meals I never get tired of. When all deadlines seem to pile up at the same time, the one thing I try never to take out of my schedule is a home-cooked meal. It really does give you that extra boost of energy, recharges your batteries and relaxes you in the process. I guess the kitchen really is therapeutic in that way - it's the one place where most of your worries momentarily disappear leaving you with a wonderfully comforting homemade meal.

Baked Eggs with Potatoes and Pancetta
Serves 2

2 eggs
2 tablespoons of heavy cream
6 cooked fingerling potatoes
1 tablespoon of finely diced pancetta
2 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan
A small handful of finely chopped flat leaf parsley

Preheat your oven to 400F. Take out 2 individual-sized ramekins. Dice the potatoes into bite-size pieces. Place a pan on medium heat and add the finely diced pancetta. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until the pancetta is just cooked and crispy. Remove from the heat and drain excess fat using paper towels.

Divide the potatoes, pancetta and cream between the ramekins and spread into an even layer. Crack an egg into a small bowl and pour over the potatoes and pancetta. Do the same for the 2nd ramekin. Season with a little salt and pepper (not too much as the pancetta and Parmesan are quite salty). Top with the Parmesan.

Bake for 25 minutes or until the egg is just set. If the yolks start cooking faster than the whites, cover with aluminum foil until the eggs are set. Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley. Enjoy!

36 comments:

A Bowl Of Mush said...

This looks stunning! I must try this it sounds very delicious :)

nandini said...

Completely agree with u on kitchen being therapeutic..It makes my stress and worries disappear.
The dish looks so sophisticated and liked the way you have presented it.

Nina Timm said...

For me, this would be an ideal breakfast....filling and good to last till suppertime....Lovely!!

Sook said...

What a beautiful photo! Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your great recipe and awesome picture. Just lovely ...

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Love eggs! They are so versatile and healthy. Yes, no matter how fast my day is moving I always take the time to sit down to enjoy home cooked meals. Gorgeous photo, I love that tiffany blue color with the yellow yolk.

Deana Sidney said...

Lovely to have a whole meal in a lovely little dish.. baked eggs is one of those thing you forget about but are so delicious... especially with potatoes.

Asha @ FSK said...

Ah! so simple and satisfying!!! :)

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Now THAT is my kind of recipe! I adore eggs, pancetta (or any member of the bacon family) and potatoes - so comforting! Perfect dish for a chilly day. Yummy!

Heather said...

God I wish my husband would eat eggs. this looks great. I may have to just make it for myself the next evening he works late!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I want those eggs right now. And your pretty blue tureen even more!

Cheri said...

I am loving this. Such a great and comforting dish.

CookiePie said...

Lovely lovely lovely! Perfect mix of flavors and textures. And you are SO RIGHT about a home cooked meal...

Choclette said...

Yes a lovely simple supper dish - just what you need after a hard days work!

Rose said...

Nothing starts a Sunday off right like a beautiful, simple, hearty breakfast just like this. I love it!

Sari @ Cook Your Dream said...

This is a great dish for days when I don't feel like cooking anything too complicated. Thank you for sharing! :)

jenious said...

That's such a darling ramekin. This recipe whispers notions of a romantic brunch for two on a lazy, wintery Sunday afternoon. And, I'm listening. :)

Val said...

Stunning photo! I love the individual dish and the one-pot meal idea. I'm always on the look-out for quick and easy meal ideas. Its great that you can really play around with this dish to suit what you have on hand. Love it!

pigpigscorner said...

oo I love baked eggs, so simple and satisyfing. Love the colour of your ramekin!

www.dhaleb.com said...

This is such a great photo! Makes me feel like I'm having a very relaxing and peaceful breakfast...

I almost forgot about all the cars honking and sirens zooming past our window in Manhattan ;)

my spatula said...

too, too pretty to eat!

Trissa said...

Gorgeous styling - so simple and classy!

stefaroooni said...

Oh, the food is lovely, but I must know where you got that adorable dish! Do share!

The Cooking Photographer said...

I love your little blue dish!! I want one! Oh course I'd also like those potatoes and eggs with pancetta for breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner.

2 Stews said...

Wonderful idea! I have those same mini baking dishes. I've been playing around with recipes. Yours look smashing and so very fresh!

Thanks.

Diane

Simones Kitchen said...

I love little dishes like this! It's so versatile and easy to make! Looks great too!

Lynne@CookandBeMerry.com said...

I took one look at this photo and wanted to grab my fork and dig right in!

Pam said...

I couldn't agree more, the kitchen is the most therapeutic room in the house. Sometimes I can't wait to get to mine.
This dish looks like one my "crowd" could sink their teeth into! Thanks for posting it and thanks for dropping by my blog!
Pam

Maggie said...

Just gorgeous!

Maribel said...

I do something like this with rice. I'll have to try the potato idea next time. Love it!

foodtale said...

Love turquoise kitchenware. The color is vibrant and alive. Perfect for food photography.

www.dhaleb.com said...

I absolutely love this photo! I love the boldness of the blue and the yolk against the monochromatic gray tones. You're a genius!

Alberta Leong said...

Yum...
Very tempted to try this dish myself. Is there any other substitute for heavy cream? Hardly use any heavy cream at home unless when planning to make ganache.

Unknown said...

Just checked out your blog - I love your writing and the photo's and styling. The best thing is your recipes are so "do-able" ( if there is such a word). Like these eggs - what a great family dish. I know my family would love it. Thanks

Patrice @ Circle-B-Kitchen said...

I love this! We're real big on the whole "dinner in a bowl" concept. This is going to the top of the "make this!" list. Thanks!

Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet said...

What a easy but stunning little dish. I daresay you can have that for breakfast too...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin