Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Coconut-Chocolate Bars


Every once in a while, I get a little obsessed with a flavor combination. These past couple weeks, it's been chocolate and coconut. There's just something about dark, velvety chocolate and crunchy toasted coconut. isn't there? First, let me talk about toasting. Toasting coconut really, really makes a difference. Trust me, I'm a bit of a lazy cooks at times, but I never skip this step because of how much more flavorful the end result is. The same goes for slithered almonds- they taste that much better when slightly golden and toasted. In fact, just the smell of them while they're toasting in the pan reminds you what flavor you're actually cooking with.

These bars turned out to be delicious! They're not too sweet, and the combination of chocolate ganache, toasted coconut and chocolate base was really a winner. I'm planning out my Christmas baking packages, and this will be a great addition. Cut in smaller bit-size pieces they should be a great addition to my ever-growing list of must-bakes for the Holidays.

We bought our Christmas tree this weekend, and it has to be the nicest tree I've had with Oliver. It's plump yet elegant, and is just waiting to be dressed. I have a batch if gingerbread batter in the fridge waiting to be transformed into tree ornaments - it's hard not to be in the Christmas spirit now!

Coconut-Chocolate Bars
Adapted from BBC Good Food

100 grams (1 stick) of softened butter
100 grams (1/2 cup) of granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
140 grams (1 cup) of self-rising flour
1 tsp of baking powder
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of milk

Ganache:
1/4 cup of bittersweet chocolate chips
A good splash of heavy cream

100 g of dessicated coconut

Preheat your oven to 350F. Butter and line and 20cm square tin.
Cream the softened butter and sugar with a hand mixer until pale and creamy (about 2 minutes). Add the eggs and beat until just combined.
Sieve in the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Beat in the milk. Place the batter in the tin making sure it's evenly distributed in the pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed.
Let the cake cool for a few minutes before removing from the tin.

While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate ganache. Using a double boiler, gently melt chocolate. Once melted, transfer chocolate to a small bowl and add a good splash of heavy cream. Whisk until the cream is fully incorporated.

Place a pan on medium heat. Add the coconut to the pan and stir until the coconut turn lightly golden. Remove from the heat. Stay close to the pan when toasted the coconut because it can burn easily. Remove from the heat as soon as the coconut is golden as it will continue to cook if left in the warm pan.

Cut the cake into small squares. Using a spoon, add a dollop of chocolate to the top of each square and spread to create an even layer. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Enjoy!

30 comments:

Amanda said...

I too am a fan of chocolate and coconut. The rich flavor of chocolate and crunchy texture of coconut flakes are a wonderful mixture. I think these would be a welcomed addition to my holiday spread.

Trissa said...

200% agree - I love roasted coconut and it does make a big difference. I always use it in savoury food though - what a great idea to add in a sweet! Thanks!

vanillasugarblog said...

I am a huge lover of coconut. I go crazy with it on my food blog. These do look wonderful!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I am craving one of these now!

Azusa said...

Beautiful recipe! I adore the chocolate/coconut combo. I'll must try this!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Wow! Beautiful!

Rebecca said...

LOVING THE CHOCOLATE/COCONUT COMBO! It really looks delicious!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Definitely understand what it's like to get stuck on flavor combinations. I love the way the toasted coconut contrasts with the dark chocolate in your photos.

Olive said...

I am a COCONUT-NUT and a chocoholic too..and these look so yummy, it's making me crave for some too!

Nina Timm said...

I love coconut and toasted is the best way to enjoy it.Paired with dark chocolate, it could only have been heavenly!!

Tuğba Agaci said...

This receipt is great and easy to understand! Definitely I'll try and I think I can eat all of them (: Thank you!

ali @ gimme some oven said...

These look DELICIOUS!!!

I'm also a big coconut+chocolate fan. Lately, it's been my favorite flavor combo for bubble tea -- fun!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Oh, my goodness! These look most excellent. I have to give them a try when things slow down here.

CookiePie said...

Delicious -- LOVE chocolate and coconut together!! These bars look especially yummy!

El said...

I thought I died and went to heaven when I saw these photos. What I wouldn't give for one right now. Let's just say I'll be making them this weekend!

Deborah said...

I'm always in the mood for chocolate and coconut!

pigpigscorner said...

I'm not a huge fan of coconut flakes but it does make a different when it comes to food decor. The bars look great!

Barbara said...

I wish I wasn't reading this when I am hungry!!!
Love chocolate and coconut together.

peasepudding said...

They look delicious and topped with ganache and coconut, what more could a girl ask for ;o)

Katerina said...

OMG These look amazing! I guess I will have to learn to adapt a british recipe (self-raising flour and the like)

grace said...

i get easily obsessed, too, and chocolate and coconut is one obsession that i do believe is permanent. these bars are OUTSTANDING.

Kana said...

I am big fan of coconut and am looking for new recipes to try this year. Yep, this is bookmarked!

Pei-Lin said...

Regret that I didn't find out your blog earlier ... It's full of goodies!! What a gem!

Pei-Lin

Chocolate Shavings said...

Dodol & Mochi: Thanks, and let me know if you get to try any of the recipes!

Maya: Let me know what you think of them, I'll be making a new batch soon!

Anonymous said...

Lovely chocolate bar. I love chocolate with coconut. Very moreish. Great photographs.

Zurin said...

Oh Yum YUm...i love toasted coconut. Here we use that in savoury foods too. really good. Those choc bars look delicious!!

len said...

They look like I could eat them right off the screen :) Yummy

Jo said...

Wow, chocolate and coconut .. what a delicious combination. The bars look scrumptious and beautiful photos as well.

Tuğba Agaci said...

Yesterday I could make the same as yours.Thank you for this receipt! These bars are very delicious (:

http://cikolatagaci.blogspot.com/2010/01/hindistan-cevizi-cikolata-dilimleri.html

Elizabeth said...

This looks so beyond yummy! I love coconut and chocolate so im guessing this would be a definite hit!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin