Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Shrimp Gratin with Panko Bread Crumbs, Lemon and Rosemary


You know how people tend to talk about the weather when they have nothing to really say to one another? In Montreal, talking about the weather is more like talking about a secret society that every person in the city is a part of. It's been bitterly cold here in the past couple days: the kind of cold that makes your eyelashes water and then freeze. The cold is not particular sexy either, and is really not the best time for street interactions. I caught myself laughing today as I looked up onto one of Montreal's busy streets only to see a dozen bright red faces ahead of me, all of them looking down at their shoes, with over-sized mittens, snow shoes and scarfs, yet holding their regular sleek briefcases or leather purses. It was quite the scene.

My mother had called me a couple days ago, complaining about how cold it had been in Paris. I don't think you know cold until you've experienced Montreal cold though! However, cold and bitter days such as these force you to catch up on warmth whenever you can. My kitchen has been full of steaming hearty goods, and meals that make you appreciate being home. This shrimp gratin surely warmed up the night. The recipe, which is Ina Garten's, uses a lot of butter, and I am already thinking of ways to make the dish next time to cut down on some of the fat. Nonetheless, this was a delicious and easy meal, made complete by a bowl of steaming white rice.

Recipe (serves 6)
2 pounds (12 to 15 per pound) shrimp in the shell
3 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons dry white wine
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
1/4 cup minced shallots
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 extra-large egg yolk
2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)
Lemon wedges, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the olive oil, wine, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while you make the butter and garlic mixture.

In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until combined.

Starting from the outer edge of a 14-inch oval gratin dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer cut side down with the tails curling up and towards the center of the dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until hot and bubbly. If you like the top browned, place under a broiler for 1 minute. Serve with lemon wedges.

26 comments:

a quiet life said...

sounds fabulous, dinner this week!

Sara said...

This sounds delicious, I'm always looking for new ways to cook shrimp.

pigpigscorner said...

This looks and sounds amazing! and I have most of the ingredients. Will try it soon. Thanks!

Mari said...

Snow shoes?! We're lucky if we snow sticks and stays in Amsterdam, but it has been bitterly cold and you do only encounter people hurrying to get out of the cold.

I would never think to make a shrimp gratin, but it sounds and looks magnificent!

NĂºria said...

Delicious recipe and picture! I always love your pics :D

Here in Barcelona it's been really cold, not to mention the center of Spain... there's villages with 2 meters of snow!

I don't know about Montreal, but it's supposed to be colder than here. Keep up with the hearty meals :D

Peter M said...

You should hear the complaining here!!

When I first saw the title of your dish, I was concerned then relieved to see you bake this is a short period of time...juicy shrimp in tact!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

WOW this looks incredible and so easy to make - I have everything I need to make this as well - double bonus!!

vanillasugarblog said...

We have the first front of the bitter cold. Which means it gets worse by late tomorrow. My electric blanket is set at the highest setting! I have toe-sicles! LOL
We ea a lot of shrimp scampi and I get tired of it, so this dish is a welcome treat--looks so good. Your shrimp are perfectly cooked.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. Twelve tablespoons of butter is an awful lot, but sometimes when it's this cold it can be very comforting (I'm in Boston; we're getting this too).

Anonymous said...

yes, montreal has been sooooo cold. I was afraid that I was going to parish walking home yesterday. I was just looking for a recepie for this horribly cold day and I think I have found it! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mmm... that looks so warm and delicious! I can't even imagine how cold it must be. I am such a cold weather wimp... I wouldn't last a day.

Maggie said...

Sigh, I wish I could convince my fiance to eat shrimp. Good luck with the cold weather!

Shelby said...

Sounds delicious! I love shrimp dishes!

Nazarina A said...

You had me at a panko topping,and who does not like shrimp? Scrumptious rendition!!!

test it comm said...

I really like the sound of a panko crusted shrimp gratin!! It looks great!

CookiePie said...

Sounds really fabulous!!

Darius T. Williams said...

You're right Ina uses a troth of butter in this - but I bet it's sooo freaking good.

Looks great!

Helene said...

This sounds absolutely delicious! I must fit it in the dinner plans for the week!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

This sounds heavenly......ex cept for my youngest this sounds heavenly! We love panko crumbs and shrimp! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Btw, I won't bother to mention that it's been quite cold here in the sunshine state as I know there is no comparison!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

Lots of nice textures in this recipe... Seem so light :)
The gratin dish looks so cute!

Cakebrain said...

Oh how I wouldn't mind a huge serving of that shrimp gratin! It looks yummy!

Kana said...

I used to enjoy to snow shoe when we lived home ( in Manitoba).And I know just how bitterly cold in gets in Montreal. Stay warm!!

Maria said...

What a lovely dinner!! I love everything in this dish!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Sounds amazing!

Deborah said...

I am not a fan of the cold, but I'm sure I'd be a fan of this dish!

Claudia said...

This is just a fantastic dish and looks beautiful in this pot.

C.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin