Monday, November 3, 2008

Double Chocolate Banana Espresso Muffins


I just fell in love with a new cookbook. I'm quite frivolous when it comes to cookbooks, and have yet to be able to name a month where I haven't taken a new one home. True, I am not loyal to each and every one of them at all times, but I find myself remembering an old flame a couple months down the road and browsing its pages with immense pleasure. While I have not tried nearly as many recipes as I would want from each and every book, just flipping through the pages is a constant source of inspiration. This new cookbook is a real keeper. It's the Baked Cookbook, from a bakery in Brooklyn and I fell in love with it as soon as I saw the cover. Yes... I do judge on appearances!

These muffins were the first recipe I tried from the book. They worked out wonderfully because I had been saving a couple bananas for weeks. The thing with bananas is that they really get sweeter as they ripen. When the skin gets really dark brown and the banana really soft, you know it will give you the most delicious base for banana bread or in this case.. banana chocolate muffins! I also chopped the chocolates into coarse pieces instead of using chocolate chips which added a nice rustic look to the final product.

Recipe, for 12 muffins, adapted from the Baked Cookbook

1 1/2 cups of mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium-sized bananas)
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup of whole milk
1 large egg
1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon of strong espresso
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
3 ounces of milk chocolate, cut in small pieces
3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, cut in small pieces

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir in the banana, sugars, butter, espresso, milk and egg.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle of the bowl and gently add in the banana mixture. Stir into just combined. Gently fold in the chocolates.

Fill each muffin tin about three quarters full and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Once cooked, move muffins to a cooking rack. The muffins can be stored in an air tight container for up to two days. Enjoy!

23 comments:

Audrey said...

I loved your first paragraph...you could be talking about me! And I've heard great things about this book, so I'm going to look for it.

Deborah said...

I have heard great things about this book - I need it!

test it comm said...

Those muffins look good! I really like baking with bananas and adding chocolate makes it even better.

Mandy said...

thanks for the recipe! I cant resist a recipe with all my favorite ingredients in it! I will be making these soon!

Dana Treat said...

I have heard about this cookbook elsewhere but you endorsing it is the sign I need to actually buy it. Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

chocolate, bananas, and espresso...now those are 3 things guaranteed to get me going in the mornings!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. These are like three of my favorite things all in one muffin . . . doubled. Wow. I'll have to check the book out.

Cakebrain said...

I really need to buy this book! the muffins look fantastic!

Cakebrain said...

I really need to buy this book! the muffins look fantastic!

Darius T. Williams said...

Looks good - how can anyone say no to this? Really?!?!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Maria said...

What a great morning treat!!

Anonymous said...

hi,
question - I love this combination you have come up with, however my husband does not eat cake with bannana in it.... have you tried this receipe with another fruit ie pear etc?

Maggie said...

yum! How espresso-y do they taste? A great combo.

vanillasugarblog said...

don't you love how the term double-chocolate is becoming more and more commonplace? The way it should be.
Do I really have to say how absolutely fabulous these little gems are? I mean the pics clearly speak for themselves.

Dillon said...

this makes the best breakfast with a nice hot cup of americano. superb!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Erika: the bananas mostly give a moist texture to the muffins but are really part of the batter. You would have to try it with a fruit that has a soft texture like bananas do. Pears wouls probably not mix with the rest of the ingredients as well..

Maggie: the espresso complements the chocolate really well, and adds a nice coffee hint. Let me know if you get a chance to try these!

Nic said...

Just the name is enough to get me going, they look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I just got that book. It IS wonderful. So many things that just catch your eye that you HAVE to make.

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

I have this book on hold from the library- glad to hear you've liked it so far.

I love the texture of whatever you've laid under the muffins. Beautiful!

dessert girl said...

Do these taste like coffee? That's the one issue I had with this recipe and their brownie recipe. I'm not a big coffee fan! :-)

Olivia said...

Oh my gosh this looks really good. I love bananas and chocolate, and I would probably eat these with coffee. But what a great idea to add them into it!

Y said...

What a delicious photo. And yet another reason to finally buy that book!

Anonymous said...

Is that espresso in liquid form or powder form?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin